Fine Art/early nineteenth-century portrait

Question
I am attempting to identify (country of origin, painter, etc.) a portrait of an upper-class woman. It is oil on canvas and is not signed on the front or the back. I bought it at an antique shop in Greenwood, Mississippi, in 2004. Before that it belonged to a local man, who owned it for fifty years. He and his mother bought it at a shop in Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1950s, but neither he nor I have any idea of its provenance before that. It measures
22X27 inches.

Answer
Dear Wayne,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes