Fine Art/est.value of a fine art/painting

Question
approx.value of?.  a painting by an artist,by the name of p.a.cot. name of painting is "the storm"dated 1880. name of artist,and the date is in the bottom lft.corner. i think,it is oil on board,but am not positive.i am unsure about exact size,but it is probably one of the largest. also,what do you look for,in terms of an artist's signature?.

Answer
Dear Candace, I cannot appraise a painting without physically examining it. Even an estimated value is not possible without knowing many variables: desireability of the subject, condition of the painting, exact size, authenticity, provenance (history of ownership), exhibition record, notations and or labels on the verso, original frame (?),etc.
I assume you refer to the French artist Pierre Auguste Cot (1837-1883). Value could be $1,000 to $100,000 depending upon the variables.
If you have this painting you can send jpg images to my email at pirround@msn.com Images of the front, the back, and a close-up of the signature would be best.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes