Fine Art/about fransisco de zurbaran

Question
Dear daniel,
I bacame  very interesated recently in the paintings of spanish master fransisco de zurbaran and I would like to find out how much is  a painting that measures 120 x 170 cms of his?
yors trully,
william vive

Answer
Dear William, You are in a very rarified area of art, the trinity of great Spanish artists: Zurbaran, Murillo, and Velazquez(my most favorite artist). Your question is one I cannot answer, as the price of a Zurbaran would depend upon the subject, the quality, the condition, the authenticity, and the provenance. Even if you are a knowledgeable collector you should not spend a farthing without serious consultation with scholars on Zurbaran. I do not know if they are still alive, but the expert and cataloguer of Zurbaran was Jose Gudiol, and another expert was Julian Gallego.
You could look up prices in the Annual Art Price Indexes, but they would give you no indication if the painting was authentic, in good condition, etc.
Unless the painting you indicate comes directly out of a very old, wealthy collection it would be very suspect.
If you can send jpg images to me (front and back)I would give you my modest opinion.
My email is pirround@msn.com
If you do send them make the subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes