Fine Art/hello i would like to know if this is a print

i purchased 3 pictures in gilt frames from a charity shop 2 are by emile preyer
on the back of the frame it has a card with albemarle arts limited fine art reproductions 19albemarle street london ect and a small piece of paper with information about the artist
when you feel the picture it is not smooth it is all little lines going down and across if that makes sence
i am going to sell them but is a reproduction the same as a print
i dont know if they would be a print or what they would be classed as  i dont want to list them as something they are not
thankyou for your help

Dear Kelly,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. Without actual inspection of the work; it sounds like you have reproductions by the artist Emilie Preyer.  The information on the back indicates this.

Emilie Preyer (1849 - 1930) was the daughter of artist of Johann Wilhelm Preyer (German, 1803-1889). She was known primarily for still life paintings. I located a company by the name of Albermarle Gallery in London; but I cannot say if this is the same as Albermarle Arts.

Preyer’s work has been vastly reproduced in print and in reproduced oil paintings. There are many prints that are released on cardboard and have raised surfaces to resemble the original oil.

If you buy art for resell, I highly recommend the purchase of a good quality magnifying glass of at least 10x magnification. You can then look at the surface and determine the type of medium. To learn more about what you are viewing in prints, I also recommend a good reference book on identifying prints.

Either way; they are reproductions and I would list with the information you have. You can Google Emilie Preyer and get an idea of the price range for her reproductions.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.