Fine Art/identify original

Thanks for offering this service.
I have a painting that I believe to be a copy and would like to identify the original.  The painting is oil on canvas of two old monks (perhaps Franciscans) eating or tasting pasta and smiling at each other.  My copy was painted by O. Thorvaldsen and is dated 1912. I think it was painted shortly before or just after Thorvaldsen moved from Norway to the US.  I can send a photo, but don't know how  to attach it to this form.  If I find your e-mail, I will send it separately.  Thorvaldsen was my great great uncle.  My brother tells me he once came across a picture of the original in a magazine.
Thanks,  Bob Hall, Queretaro, Mexico

Dear Bob, Depictions of monks in unguarded moments was a popular genre in the late 19th century. Numerous German and Italian artists specialized in this topic. Eduard Grutzner being the most famous German practitioner. I do not know precisely the original painting relating to yours, but it most closely looks like the work of Arturo Petrocelli (Ital.1856- ?).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.