Fine Art/identifying artists

Question
How would I go about identifying an artist who's signature on an art piece is unidentifiable?
I recently found three pieces of art which my wife inherited from her great grandmother several years ago. One of the pieces is clearly marked (i.e.Raymond Lintz, "The Blue Door". The other two pieces, which are nature scenes with either pastels or chalk, mostly brown and blue, are signed at the bottom right hand side but are unidentifiable. They seem to be the same signature which appears to be HTT Gesen or HTP Gesen but that is only a guess on my part since the printing is very blurry.
I would appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide.

Answer
Believe it or not, this same issue comes up on a regular basis. Artists should write thier names on the back of the work so we don't have to go through this.

There are a variety of methods, x-ray is one.  You can also photograph the signature and play around with windows imaging or another programs that allow you to change the color schemes or the contrasts of each color etc and bring out the signature.  No easy task.

Dan

Dan Twyman