Fine Art/identifying painting/artist

Perhaps you can help identify an artist? The signature looks like 'Vitali', but is difficult to make out. The portrait shows an elderly man smoking a pipe, dressed in a dark jacket, a white shirt, large floppy brown bow tie,  red waistcoat and beige floppy silky hat (rather like a fancy nightcap) with a tassle hanging to the left. The man has bushy hair over his ears, with a lock of hair protruding from under the hat onto his forehead. The man looks elderly and amiable, smiling. The pipe is long and thin - stick-like with, I believe, smoke rising from it.It looks like oil on canvas, about 200cm x 260cm. The signature is in black in the bottom right corner, with a bold downward line/stroke descending wither from the end of the signature or added afterwards. The silky hat seems 'rich' with a pattern of lines (golden). Many thanks

Dear Caroline,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.