Fine Art/identity of artist

I have two portraits, oil on canvas, of a man and his wife. They are both about 15"w, 17"high. The letters "D.O. p 1843" appear on both of them.

The people are family who I think, lived in Ohio.  That is as much as I know about them.

Is there a way to identify the artist?  

Thank you.

Dear John, The most difficult assignment in American art is to identify portrait artists and subjects. In the 19th century prior to photography, portrait painters were itinerent and traveled where ever there was a possible clientel. I looked through books on Ohio and Kentucky portrait painters and found no one with the initials "D.O."
Your best option is to try and find more definitive information on the subjects. If you have any indication the subjects are Ohio residents, contact the Ohio Historical Society. I specialize in this type of historical research, but it is impossible if you have no leads.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.