Fine Art/james m. sessions

Thank You for the reply. Any thoughts regarding the equine paintings I mentioned in my question ? Any suggestions on things that I can look for to determine whether the Sessions paintings are original ? Thanks in advance.

Keith Wallace
Followup To
Question -
Have come across two water colors(?), framed and have borders that appear to be original water color paintings, at least from what I can see and the texture of the paper. One is title "Vermont Farm" and says "contemporary american, the other has no title but is a country winter scene, family sleigh ride. The paintings measure about 24 by 17 and framed are 31 by 25. They have been in our family for approx 40 years and came from a well know Toledo Ohio Industrialist. I am looking for information as to value, should I have them appraised ? Any known appraisers in Toledo Ohio, Detroit area ?  I also have two numbered prints (I think they are prints) of horses. The name Wallace appears at the bottom of each, the name of the horse is on the back. The number 17 is on the picture titled War Admiral and 361 is on Sea Biscuit. I have the same questions regarding vaule on these as well. If you are interested, I have a few more interesting ones that may or may not be original, all are pretty old appearing and have been in the family. Thank You in advance for any help.

Keith Wallace
Answer -
Dear Keith, It is likely that your Sessions "watercolors" are actually prints. His works have been very popular and there were innumerable prints made after his watercolors. The prints were well done and look just like watercolors. Value of course will really depend upon what they are. I would suggest you take your items to an auction house in your area that sells art work on a regular basis. The only one I know off-hand is Frank Boos Gallery in Troy, MI. Another option would be to make an appointment with the Print & Drawing department or American painting department at the Toledo museum (however they would not evaluate them, but could tell you if they are watercolors or prints). If they are watercolors they would have significant value.

Dear Keith, As I mentioned the prints done after Sessions' watercolors are difficult to differentiate from the originals. You would have to remove the works from their frames and examine them with a magnifying glass. If they are prints you will see very tiny dots throughout and/ or there may be an indentation all around the margin which would be a plate mark from a printing device.
As for your horse prints and other works, it is really not my field. Most prints have decorative value only...unless they are by a very important artist, actually executed by the artist (not by a craftsman at a publishing company), and of a truly limited edition. Most contemporary prints are claimed to be limited to 100 or 300 or whatever, but they fail to tell you there is an American edition, a European edition, artists proofs, etc. (in fact they are publishing thousands of this image).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.