Fine Art/joseph h davis

I recently inhereted from my grandfather a Joseph H. Davis work entitled James and Sarah Tuttle-Joseph H. Davis- New York Historical Society. It has a label with Merwin's Art Shop in the back and on the artwork it says painted at Stratford Jan 25, 1836. Not knowing anything about art, my question is does this have any value and if so where could I take it to be appraised?
Thanks for your help,
David Glassberg

Dear David, As Joseph H. Davis was a watercolor painter, I assume that is the medium of your double-portrait. If you would like to send images to me I would be pleased to give you additional information. You can attach jpg images to an email to me at
Make your subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.