Fine Art/larry horowitz

Question
my wife and i were visting San Francisco and went into a reputable gallery showing his work. my questions are can you negotiate the price with a gallery? how can you research the artist to assure yourself the price is fair? and do you know of this artist and believe his art would be worth collecting?  

Answer
Craig:  You usually can get 5-10% off, occasionally more if you are an astute negotiator.  #2:  tough question, unless the artist is world-renowned with international market so comparable pieces can be found elsewhere.  Which leads to #3:  I do not know the artist, but even if I did, I personally only collect what I LOVE, and when selling to personal clients recommend the same.  However, I would only recommend artists with international markets as really collectible.  There is no guarantee that the most popular and emerging artists will have markets for their works in 10 years or so.  You can ALWAYS sell a Picasso or Chagall original [print or painting], and, over time, historically always for a profit.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit