Fine Art/lithograph purchasing advice (Chagall)

Question
I recently saw a Chagall lithograph, purportedly an original and pencil signed by the artist, at an antique mall. The asking price was $800. The authenticity of fine art is not my expertise so... after reading some of your answers I am thinking I either take a magnifying glass back to the antique mall to inspect if it is an offset (and never really know if the signature is a fake,) or, I attempt to buy another lithograph on-line? I am hoping to find something of decent value for my fiance for my wedding present to him. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Lindsey

Answer
Lindsey--glad you wrote to me before making a purchase.  I have the six catalogs containing EVERY Chagall lithograph.  There are none hand signed that are not also numbered.  Don't touch it!  Careful on-line, too.  There are more bogus pieces than real ones, not that the sellers are crooks.  They don't know.  See something?  Write to me.  I am glad to be of service.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit