Fine Art/m. barberis, 20th century Italian art

We have come across a series of small oil paintings on board by this artist. They are signed M. Barberis, Roma. They appear to be the stations of the cross, and we believe they are early 20th century. We have discovered by accident that the Catholic church owns works of very similar style by an artist of the same name in Italy and would like to know more about him, and whether or not what we have is by the same artist. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dear Ellen, This is probably the artist Mario Barberis. I have not found much information on him, other than 19th-20th century Italian, painter of allegories. There is also a Maria Bianca Barberis, and a Milena Barberis, both 20th century. There will be more information in the "Comanducci Dizionario Universale", this is a very large and expensive dictionary of Italian artists. Some art museum and university libraries will have this. There is a web site however they only give names, not their biographies (as I guess that would undermine the sale of their dictionary). If you can only find the dictionary at a distant library they would probably make a copy of the specific biographies for you.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.