Fine Art/margaret "magie" rhymal/cummins

hi --- i inherited two really beautiful oil paintings - i am currently trying to ascertain who and where i can find an excellent conservator in the los angeles area for cleaning and some repairs -- but i am off my subject --- the paintings are 1) "flamingos among the palms" and the other 2) being of swans in a pond with the reeds growing up around them ---- they are very close in that ive always thought of them as a pair - identical size and painting --- but if you search for (1) you can find almost identical prints on several web sites, and another,

these prints/paintings for sale at the above are obviously new --- but what i assume are originals were painted by my great great great aunt maggie rhymal possibly in the hamilton ontario area - i also have to assume they were done around the mid 1800's --- i am having a difficult time finding any reference to her or possibly another artist that she may have copied from back then -- otherwise, she would be the original artist ---- i am kinda rambling here and i apologize --- but if you can advise of any information it would be greatly appreciated .... thanks, terry, palmdale, california

Dear Terry,

I cannot find any biographical references for your aunt and this usually means she was not an exhibited artist.  I propose that the works you have are simply painted copies created by your aunt as she want probably not the artist who came up with the original concept.  I suggest asking antique dealers in your area who they would recommend to restore the paintings.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.