Fine Art/matisse offset lithograph

QUESTION: I just bought a framed Matisse offset lithograph, titled "Theme M Variation 2" from a limited edition of 950 (which doesn't sound so limited). Publisher is Martin Fabiani and the date given is 1941.  It has a certificate from Nathan Daniel Isen, Purveyor of Fine Arts, Phildelphia, Pennsylvania.  Any idea what this would be worth as is in a high quality frame? From my research so far I think I have learned that offset lithographs are not very valuable.   Thank you so much for your time.

ANSWER: An offset lithograph is:
Four-color lithographic print from an offset press. Can be an open edition, limited edition or poster.

When I was young, I was a paper loader on the large offset presses in a print shop. Offset is used for posters, documents etc. While is is not the top of the food chain in the art world, a signed offset by a known artist can reach high value if it is signed and authorized by the artist.  

As for Fabiani, I would need to verify my memory but he was arrested in connection with Nazi art fraud. There are books, documentaries and other references to a dealer with that name that made the news for his crimes in the art world.  We would need to verify that is is the same person, but it sounds like the right period of time.

QUESTION: I don't believe this has been signed by the artist as there is no documentation to suggest that. Assuming this is in fact the infamous Fabiani, how does that, if at all, affect the value of the print?  In your opinion, what is the market value on my unsigned offset print in a high quality frame (published by Fabiani) or what do you believe I should have paid?

An offset lithograph that is not signed is a poster. It can be on nice paper but it is still low end art.  Not sure exact value. You might have an $800.00 frame on a $25.00 poster?  If the piece is over 100 years old, it is an antique print, but even unsigned antique prints are somewhat low end $$ as well.  I would enjoy the art, and if you want a hand signed work, I can help you find one but the expense will be in the high thousands of dollars for that artists works that are appraised and authenticated. The best buy right now in the world of the masters is Dali.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.