Fine Art/matisse sketches

Question
Dear Alan:
I write mystery/suspense novels.  The project I'm working on now involves the art world, and I'm wondering if you could give me a ballpark figure for what two sketches (charcoals?) by Henri Matisse would have been worth some twenty years ago.
I realize that's not a lot of information, I can vary the size and subject of the works, but I don't want to look foolish and put down a ridiculously high or low figure.
Your help would be appreciated.
Jerry Kennealy

Answer
Jerry, a simple drawing--pen and ink was a favorite medium for drawing by Matisse--would be $15-$20 thousand in the 1980's.  Could you give me the names of other works you have penned?  I have not had the opportunity to "check you out on line!"  I have had three books published and am interested in other writers.  Good luck with your project.  My personal email is alantheartmaven@hotmail.com.
Alan.

Alan Klevit