Fine Art/miro' lithographs

Question
I see Miro' hand signed lithographs on the internet with prices between $150 - $1000.

Are they worth this much, and why are some of his other works from dealers worth 10 times that much ??

Thank you very much.

Russ Davidson

Answer
Dear Russ,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. I donít believe anyone in the art industry will argue with the impact the internet and eBay in particular have had on the secondary art market. Prior to the internet, original prints from modern masters such as Miro were only to be found in retail art galleries and wholesale art auctions. Add the availability of sophisticated printing methods and unscrupulous people and you have the answer to your question as to the range of prints showing up on the market.

Just remember, the signature is only as good as the credentials of the person authenticating the signature and the art in general. You also need to know the other information on the art that will substantiate its authenticity, such as size, paper, watermarks, edition size, & etc.

The reason you pay more from an established gallery or art dealer is because they are staking their business reputation on their integrity. The costs for this are high and they pay higher prices for their art because of it. Most reputable galleries and dealers would never knowingly misrepresent a piece of art. It would not be worth it.

I was fortunate to learn the business while working for Fingerhut Gallery in Sausalito, one of the largest galleries and art publishers in the U.S. Fingerhut would never consider representing any art in their galleries that was not authenticated by known experts of the artist. The art had to have impeccable provenance. Why would they or any major gallery risk a multi-million dollar business over the profit from a single counterfeit? Iím not saying all galleries are this honorable, but if you buy from an established business with a guarantee, you protect your art investment. Getting a piece authenticated is expensive and sometimes impossible. For example, original Picasso drawings that are not already catalogued are most likely never going to be authenticated.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley