Fine Art/need help identifying painting

Question
I have what appears to be a painting of "Ishmael and Hagar Cast Out".  It is in a very old frame and the back of it has pieces of newspaper attached as well as hand written words that I can only partially read.  The painting appears to be attached to an old piece of wood and then framed.  The back is marked in big black letters DOBSON RA.  Part of the wording I can make out says "Birmingham Exhibition 1862" and F Dobson student.  I can't decipher the rest nor can I see the signature on the front.  I can e-mail photos.  I was given this piece of art by my Grandfather who is now deceased.  He was a collector of art by American Woman and he also traveled the world collecting antique tools.  His collection was declared the most complete in this country and 5th in the world.  It is now housed in a museum at Reinhardt College.  In his 40 years of traveling and collecting he picked up many unique items that did not fit into his collection and when he brought me this particular piece he told me to hang it on the wall and take good care of it.  I had forgotten about it for 25 years and would now like to know what it is.  Please let me know if you can help.

Answer
Please forward images and any text to

collectdali@aol.com

Also, are you trying to sell it?

Something like this probably needs to be examined and appraised and that is not something I can do online.
I can point you in the right direction or help sell it.

Dan

Dan Twyman