Fine Art/oil painting

Question
I have a large oil painting on canvas of a woman wih a blue headband and a blue earing with blonde hair.  It is signed by THORPE in all capital letters and the back of the canvas says permanent pigments in cincinnati, ohio.   How can I determine if it is worth anything?

Answer
Dear Patti,

Before you can find out the value of your painting, you will need to verify the artist. The artist that immediately comes to mind with the name of Thorpe is of course Mackenzie Thorpe. However, his primary medium for original work is pastels on paper.

According to your question, the canvas appears to have been manufactured by Permanent Pigments in Cincinnati. Permanent Pigments was once owned by the inventor of Liquitex, the first major artist accepted acrylic paint. I am not sure if there was an outlet in the Cincinnati area, but I was able to place Mackenzie Thorpe in Ohio early in his career when he attended the Cleveland College of Art in 1977. I mention this because maybe his early work at school was oil or acrylic on canvas. I could not locate a close up image of his signature so I am unable to tell you how he signs his art.

"Google" Mackenzie Thorpe and you will see pages and pages about the artist and his artwork. Take a look and see if you see any resemblance in the style. You can contact the artist via his website (it comes up on the first results page), and request for an attribution or denial of the work.

If you cannot attribute the work to a particular artist, then the painting will need to be valued aesthetically by possible collectors. In other words, its value is what a collector will pay for it. Actually, that is the monetary value of any artists work. Picasso’s are worth millions of dollars because that is the price collectors are willing to pay for his original work.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley