Fine Art/original Marc Chagall lithograph

Question
Hi Alan,

I recently inherited an orginal Marc Chagall lithograph, "Adam et
Eve Chasses du Paradis" (I believe it's a study for his more well-
known work of the same name), signed on the back in pencil by
the artist. The edition number, also hand written, is "186b" but
does not have the total from the edition.

Curious as to its value and history. Can you respond to my e-
mail address? Thanks -

ML

Answer
Matthew--Chagall did not sign any of his lithographs on the back.  ONLY on the front, bottom right, with the edition size on the bottom left--and the number of the piece on top, edition size on bottom, such as 35/50.  He never did an edition of 186.  Without actually seeing it [not a picture of it], I am reasonably sure it is an offset lithograph [reproduction], and the "signature" on the back likely bogus.  I have dealt extensively in Chagall original lithographs for thirty years, have every catalog with specific information on every lithograph he ever did.  Sorry.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit