Fine Art/painter named sillig

I have an oil painting that I have had for 35 years and the only thisg I know is it is showing a man about 65 years old who is wearing a red beret and he has a beard. It lokks like it was doen in the 18th or 19 century. Its either victor or viktor sillig, that was all the information that I have at this time. Can you please help me?

Dear Julie, This is a German artist Viktor von Sillg (1806-1870). He was born in Dresden and known for paintings and prints of military subjects. There is not much more information on him. His paintings generally sell at auction under $1,000.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.