You are here:

Fine Art/painting /artist dentification


I was recently given a painting that has been in the family for a while. It is of an american sailboat in a storm with a broken mast. The hull number on the boat is K1296. There is another boat off in the distance and a keg floating in the water.
The signature appears to read...S. Dumouchy 1898.
Any thoughts? I can send a picture with a close up of the sigature. I have been unable to find any such artist and was wondering if you would have any suggestions.  Thanks, Matt.

Hello Matt,

I hope this finds you well in health and spirit. Thank you for your question. Let's start with some images so that I can see the style and signature. Take as many pictures as needed to give me good images of the entire painting, the back, and a close up of the signature and email to: I'll see what I can do!

Best regards,

Fine Art

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dolly D Headley


I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.


Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.

©2017 All rights reserved.