Fine Art/Have painting with no signature

My daughter purchased a painting at an estate sale in Spokane Washington.  It's a picture of a young boy with a red scarf and it looks like the painter X'd over his eyes, or painted scratch marks on them.  I can e-mail you a copy of the piture if you like.  One museum e-mailed me and said to look under German Expressionism.  We are lost.  Thanks

Dear Debbie, Please follow the instructions below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don't include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.