Fine Art/I have a painting signed...

I have a painting signed Georgais Cain dated
  1896. It is a picture of people outside of
  and entering a church, with tall ships in  
  the background. Could you give me any
  informatoin on the artist or posible value.
  thank you. Or how to convince my wife to
  let me hang it in the parlor.  

Dear Mike, The artist Georges-Jules-Auguste Cain (Fr.1856-1919)was a painter of portraits and genre. Many of his subjects revolve about Napoleonic times. I cannot evaluate a painting I have not examined, as this depends upon size, subject, desireability, condition, authenticity, and other factors. His paintings sell in a wide range from $3,000 to $30,000.
If you like you can send jpg images to my email, make your subject line "allexperts" so I do not reject it as spam. An image of the front, the back, and a close-up of the signature and any inscriptions or labels would be best.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.