Fine Art/I have a picture in my possession...

Question
I have a picture in my possession titled "Seabiscuit", signed by author "Wallace" and numbered  "N 50" under his signature. The picture was framed by "Mohr Art Galleries 916 Madison Ave Toledo Ohio" as indicated by a sticker on the back. It is a beautiful portrait (done in pastels?) of the horse. I have digital images of the portrait, framing and the back that I can e-mail. Can you tell me anything about the artist, this picture and where I can obtain a fair market value?  I have been asked to sell the painting on the owner's behalf, but want to make sure they receive a fair price.  Any help you can give would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
kimberly--with a number "N50" it is some sort of print, not a pastel.  Likely, it is an offset lithograph.  Look at the image with a jeweler's loop and see if there are rows of dots, which would verify that.  No Wallace in my compendium.  I have no idea as to value, but if an offset, probably under $100.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit