Fine Art/portrait paiting

I have a portrait of a man dated 1854. His face is on the canvas but it darkens to the sides. He has a fly on his forehead. Very strange. On the bottom right corner it says "After a pupil of cornelius" 1854. The back of the portrait is hand written 1853. has been in the family for many years. I donit know who painted it. Can you help

Dear Dianne, I have no idea who Cornelius would be. "After a pupil of Cornelius" would mean your painting is a copy of a copy. Since it is twice removed from the original there would be no way to identify your artist from the style of painting.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.