Fine Art/preserve an old painting

hi i was just given and old painting from grandma moses it was supposedly one of her first ones, i want to hang this but i don't want it to get ruined, my husband and i are both smokers, can i cover this with plastic or would that ruin it, or do you have any other suggestions
thanks florence

Dear Florence, You should not cover the front or the back with anything (plastic, glass, paper, etc.) as this would trap moisture and ruin the painting. Hang the painting on an inside wall not one that faces the outside. I was a smoker for 50 years, it takes many years for smoke to tone a painting. Then you can have a painting conservator clean the painting, smoke comes off quite easily.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.