Fine Art/prints/paintings

Question
Thanks so much for getting back with the answer to my question so quickly. You stated that if I had a high magnification glass I would see a dot pattern rather than the solid lines of an original plate lithograph.This does not have the dot pattern.It has the solid line pattern, very nice and that part has no damage. There is however some water stained areas around the bottom part of the print,(in the white area)could you tell me the difference between the two. Would one be a better quality copy than the other.
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
I hope to find some information about what I believe is a copy print.
It is a copyright 1950-Abbott Laboratories. The print is "Cercle Catholique Du Sacre'-Coeur-By Maurice,Utrillo,V,
Could you please tell me what a print copy is and what a Print is. I thought the print or copy was nice.I wanted to put it in a new frame as the one it came in has an order to it.The copy also has an order to it, as if it had been sitting in a damp old building.Is there something that I could do to it in order to get that smell out if it without harming it? Thanks, Vera
-----Answer-----
Dear Vera,

I hope this finds you well. It sounds like you have a reproduction print that was probably distributed as a gift to clients from Abbott Laboratories. I will try to explain the difference in the use of the terminology of prints. There are original prints and there are reproduction prints. Examples of original prints would be plate lithographs, etchings, woodblocks, pochoirs and serigraphs. These are created by the artist in the respective mediums and are of limited quantity; primarily due to the limitations of the printing methods and medium.

Then there are reproduction prints, such as yours, that are copies of the original prints. Instead of being produced from the artists original work, they are reproduced in mass quantity using various methods, the most common being offset lithography. If you have a high magnification glass such as a jeweler’s loupe you would see a dot pattern on your print rather than the solid lines of an original plate lithograph.

Certainly there are very fine images visually worth framing that are reproduction prints. Original Maurice Utrillo prints can run in the thousands so most people who like his work are very happy with good reproductions.

It sounds like your print has suffered some moisture damage and the smell is mold. Since it is not an expensive original, it would not be financially feasible to have the print professionally restored. The planned reframing should relieve or reduce the smell. You want to make sure all paper products such as the backing and matting is tossed out and replaced. The best way to kill mold is UV light. Unfortunately this can also fade the print if exposed too long. I have set prints face down in UV light and fresh air for several hours and this seems to do very well. Watch closely for any possibility of fading.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,
Dolly

Answer
Dear Vera,

Please keep in mind that a typical household magnifying glass does not have strong enough resolution to distinguish the presence of a dot type pattern. You must use at least 10-15x magnification; typical of a jeweler’s loupe. Unless specifically purchased, most people do not have these available in their home. To be sure, you may want to take your print to a local antique dealer who will most likely have one available and would be willing to take a look for you.

With that said, water damage is a major detriment to the value of a print. It sounds as though yours is limited to the margin so that should not be a major issue. If your Utrillo print is an original lithograph versus an offset print; (solid lines vs. dot pattern), it would be of much more value.

I hope this is helpful!

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley