Fine Art/question about transporting artworks

Question
In movies, stolen paintings are rolled up and put into mailing tubes - in reality, can that be done without harming the artwork, or would a thief, assuming s/he was working to a list for a specific client, use another method?  

Don't worry, I'm writing a story, not planning a heist! My story is based on the 1990 theft at the Gardner Museum in Boston, which included three Rembrandts and a Vermeer, in case the age or style of the painting makes a difference.

Thank you for taking the time to make your expertise available!
Syd.

Answer
Sydney,

Don't believe what you see in the movies or read in the newspapers.  Rolling as Old Master painting would destroy it, which is why this is not the preferred technique employed to conceal stolen paintings by professional thieves.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke