Fine Art/question about transporting artworks

In movies, stolen paintings are rolled up and put into mailing tubes - in reality, can that be done without harming the artwork, or would a thief, assuming s/he was working to a list for a specific client, use another method?  

Don't worry, I'm writing a story, not planning a heist! My story is based on the 1990 theft at the Gardner Museum in Boston, which included three Rembrandts and a Vermeer, in case the age or style of the painting makes a difference.

Thank you for taking the time to make your expertise available!

Don't believe what you see in the movies or read in the newspapers.  Rolling as Old Master painting would destroy it, which is why this is not the preferred technique employed to conceal stolen paintings by professional thieves.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.