Fine Art/rembrandt print

I have a print titled Man With Golden Helmet by Rembrandt. It has Winde Fine Prints #247 stamped on the back. We have had this for years. Do you know if it has any value to it? Thanks for any info you can provide.

I hope you are doing well and I hope I can be of assistance with your question on the Rembrandt print.

I would like to take a moment to give you a brief overview of Rembrandt art. Rembrandt work that could be considered of collector or investment quality would be original oil paintings, drawings, or engravings, (etchings). His paintings rarely come up on the open market and most are in museums. One original Rembrandt painting sold at auction this year for almost $4 million. His drawings fetch in the hundreds of thousands and his etchings can run $4000-200,000 depending on the year they were pulled from his original plate, with the most valuable being printed while he was alive. These are called “lifetime” impressions. Lithographs or offset printing was not invented until 200 years or more after his death.

Your print is an offset lithograph by a fine art printing company that licensed images of the old masters for the mass market. It appears they were most active around mid-century.

It is probably a beautiful copy of his original painting and its value is more aesthetic than monetary. Unfortunately, there are few resources for selling art on the secondary market. Most galleries will not accept consignments unless they are original work by a major artist. If you were to post it on EBay, unfortunately it would not bring much. There are many master artists prints by Winde Fine Prints by on EBay not being bid on with a 99 cent starting price. People want a “steal of a deal” on EBay.

Personally, I find this a great travesty in the art world. People will spend $200 for a modern cheaply made print in Wal-Mart without considering the finely made prints, by publishers such as Winde, that are of a much higher quality printing.

I hope you enjoy your art and be assured you could not replace it with a modern reproduction of the same quality.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.