Fine Art/no subject

Question
I’ve become a huge Caravaggio fan, so much so that my first trip to Europe last February revolved around hunting down his works in Paris, Rome and Naples.

I'm planning a second trip and I'd like to see "Taking Of Christ".  I was surprised to discover that another version of “Taking Of Christ” had been discovered in Rome by Maria Letizia Paoletti.  Do you know if the painting in Rome is on display?  If so, where?

Thank you!

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
Greg  

Answer
Dear Gregory,

Buona sera. The painting by Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, is either in the National Gallery in Ireland, or in the private collection of Mario Bigetti, a Roman art dealer and the Italian owner of an identical painting…..or both.  I believe the verdict is still out on which one is the real Caravaggio, but the latest speculation is that they are both by Caravaggio. The only museum that is mentioned of having a possible showing of the Italian painting is Milan, but I am unable to verify that it has ever been publicly exhibited.

If you are able to make the journey and wish to see some beautiful Caravaggio paintings; go to Florence and see his works in the Ufizzi and Palazzo Pitti. I was there last fall and there are some extraordinary works in both museums. Look for Bacchus and Sleeping Cupid.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley