Fine Art/no subject

I’ve become a huge Caravaggio fan, so much so that my first trip to Europe last February revolved around hunting down his works in Paris, Rome and Naples.

I'm planning a second trip and I'd like to see "Taking Of Christ".  I was surprised to discover that another version of “Taking Of Christ” had been discovered in Rome by Maria Letizia Paoletti.  Do you know if the painting in Rome is on display?  If so, where?

Thank you!

Thanks again for your time.

Dear Gregory,

Buona sera. The painting by Caravaggio, The Taking of Christ, is either in the National Gallery in Ireland, or in the private collection of Mario Bigetti, a Roman art dealer and the Italian owner of an identical painting…..or both.  I believe the verdict is still out on which one is the real Caravaggio, but the latest speculation is that they are both by Caravaggio. The only museum that is mentioned of having a possible showing of the Italian painting is Milan, but I am unable to verify that it has ever been publicly exhibited.

If you are able to make the journey and wish to see some beautiful Caravaggio paintings; go to Florence and see his works in the Ufizzi and Palazzo Pitti. I was there last fall and there are some extraordinary works in both museums. Look for Bacchus and Sleeping Cupid.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.