Fine Art/true value???

Question
Hello, I recently attended an auction on a cruise hosted by Park West at Sea. At this auction I acquired 4 Seriolithographs, all signed in the plate. I have researched some on the internet and read positive and negative statements. Park West seems to be reputible and has been around for 30 years, but the name seriolithograph was created by them and it is an inexpensive technique for them to produce. I did receive Appraisals ranging from 585.00 to 595.00 for them along with Certificate of Authenticity. Any information or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. They are beautiful prints, but I know nothing about fine art and its value.

Answer
Dear Angela,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. I admit I had to go to the Park West Gallery website to get a definition of Serolithograph as I had never heard of the process before your question. If I understand it, they create an offset lithograph of the image and then add inks to the print through a silkscreen process.

One thing I do not know and could not find an answer is if the Serolithograph images were taken from previously released editions, or if the images are uniquely created by the artist specifically for Park West. I suppose that could be answered if they sell a Serolithograph by Picasso, Chagall, or other deceased artist. I could not find any Serolithographs in their gallery by the Modern Masters. I did notice they have original lithographs by Chagall, Picasso, Miro, etc.; but these are priced in the high five and six figure range. They carry a lot of high end original art.

You mention that you like the images, so that is a good thing. If you want to know if they will bring their actual appraisal price on the secondary market, I suggest you take a look at the art on EBay. EBay does not necessarily represent the true value of art on the secondary market, but it gives you a good idea of the collectibility of the artist or a particular print based on the bidding action.

Go to the advanced search page on EBay and put in “Park West Gallery” as the keywords and click on the “Search title and description” button. It will currently return over 180 prints at auction. Look at the prices listed for Serolithograph art with the Park West Gallery COA. You may even find some of your images in the mix. I did notice that certain artists from their auctions bring better prices. If your purchased Peter Max you probably did well. Most of the Serolithograph auctions end without bids, except for the ones starting at .99.  

As I mentioned earlier, you like the images and that is a very good thing. My opinion is that the prices you paid are not too bad for decorative art.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley