Fine Art/I am trying to identifiy if this is Ethel J. Rahenkamp work

Ethel J. Rahenkamp
Ethel J. Rahenkamp  
I was given this painting a year ago from a family member because I collect early 20th century California artists. They had no real information on it, other then it is in a style I collect.  On the back of the painting is written "Stream in the desert" and "Ethel J. Rahenkamp, 4717 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles CA 90042."  When I conducted my web research, I found this on "Born in Pennsylvania on August 23, 1893. Rahenkam settled in Los Angeles about 1905. By 1920 she was a grade-school teacher in the City. A spinster, she died there on March 23, 1974. A highly competent landscape painter, her works are rare." When I looked up her address via google the house was built in 1924 and it is right outside of downtown Los Angeles. So this information on the back of the painting seems to meet her profile, but my issue is I have never seen any examples of her work. Thus I have not been able to see if this is a match of her work. If you have any information that would be appreciated-I have included an image. Also here is a link to a larger picture

Marc, I would like to see better images per my standard request below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.