Fine Art/What type of painting do I have?

My oil on canvas, is a harbour view from an apartment by Ciappa (36 X 27 inches),  Ciappa is signed on the bottom left hand corner.  Can you tell me if i have a painting that is valueable?  I have it above the firplace and I'm not sure it is in the right place as there is alot of light.  This painting has been in the family for at least 30 years

Dear Caroline, There are at least a dozen listings for artists named Ciappa. I am not sure I could identify yours without a first name or initial. If you like you can attach jpg images (under 100k)to an email to me at
An image of the front, the back, and close-ups of the signature and any inscriptions or labels would be best. Make your subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.