Fine Art/unidentified artist/painting purchased in Germany

Question
My Grandfather purchased this painting (oil on canvas, I believe) around 1940 in or around Frankfurt, Germany. The canvas size (w/o frame) is 32in length X 25in width. The artist signature is in the lower left-hand corner, but I cannot decipher it. It has been hanging in our house for years and we would like any information about it if possible. I have 3 photo's, one of the entire painting, one of a close-up of the painting, and one detailed shot of the artist signature. As there is not an option to attach it in this message that I can find, I will be more than happy to send the images via email. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Answer
Dear Michelle,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at pirround@msn.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes