Fine Art/unknown milk maid print

Question
unknown
unknown  
Dear Mr. Luebke,
Can you help with this antique print. As in the artist, a possible date and is it worth saving. The photo is not accurate for color or clarity. It is brittle and the black in raised higher then the rest of the colors. It has writing on the reverse but it appears to be other then English. It is very pretty and I would like to conserve whats left but only if it's worth it. It measures about 20" x 26". There is absolutely no dot pattern anywhere in the piece so how is it produced?

Sincerely,
Karen

Answer
Hello Karen,  You have a print, most likely a lithograph, created by an unkown artist that copied a very famous etching titled 'Sark' from Scottish artist Edwin Douglas' (RBA 1848 - 1914) 'The Channel Island Series' painted in 1878.  R. E. Wilson, an art dealer in the UK, has the actual painting for sale on his website www.rewart.com/edwindouglas.htm .  Note the differences between your copy and the original.  A value is difficult to determine without hands-on inspections but I suggest it would be less than $50.00.  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke