Fine Art/unsigned pastel identification

I need hints on how to identify the artist of an unsigned pastel landscape that my grandfather bought in Riverside CA around 1920 give or take 10 years. No signature. A large numeral 5 on back of the art board. The back of the frame has #3046 on it but no other identifying marks. Is this hopeless?

Dear Guy, Pretty much hopeless. Most pastels look alike, they do not have the distinctive marks made by a brush and paint.
If you like send a good image to my email at
Make your subject line "allexperts." It will be pure luck if I recognize the artist.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.