Fine Art/unsigned pastel identification

Question
I need hints on how to identify the artist of an unsigned pastel landscape that my grandfather bought in Riverside CA around 1920 give or take 10 years. No signature. A large numeral 5 on back of the art board. The back of the frame has #3046 on it but no other identifying marks. Is this hopeless?

Guy

Answer
Dear Guy, Pretty much hopeless. Most pastels look alike, they do not have the distinctive marks made by a brush and paint.
If you like send a good image to my email at pirround@msn.com
Make your subject line "allexperts." It will be pure luck if I recognize the artist.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes