Fine Art/value of my 2 paintings

i have 2 paintings of blue boy and pinkie from Thomas gainsborough, i got them as a gift from an old friend, they are in beautiful frames. i want to know if they are prints or reproductions. are all prints the same in value?

Dear Zohra

All prints are not the same value. Posters and offset lithos are very cheap because they are massproduced. Lithographs and ethnings can be expensive since they require much more work, can be signed/numbered by hand, and are typically not produced in more than a few hundred.

Before I can tell you anything about your paintings/prints please send me some images. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front, the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time.

Best Regards, Soren

Søren Holmstrup

I can answer questions regarding Venetian paintings. ALL QUESTIONS THAT ARE NOT RELEVANT WILL BE REJECTED.

I have been a collector for several years.

I have studied art on my own for as long as I can remember.