Fine Art/visual art

Question
There is a picture (detailed drawing, engraving maybe) of an older man in 18th or 19th century dress.  He is standing on a "ladder" in front of bookcases in a large library.  I think he is holding several books.  What is the title and artist's name?

Answer
Dear James, In the 19th century, paintings and prints depicting people with books or in libraries was a popular subject. In previous ages only royalty and aristocrats owned books. Owning books or libraries by the rising middle class in the 19th century was a symbol of arriving, i.e. financial success.
The specific painting (I am quite sure it was also made into a print) you describe is:
"The Bookworm" by the German artist Carl Spitzweg (1808-1885). It is oil on canvas, approximately 20 x 10 inches, circa 1860. It is a delightful painting.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes