Fine Art/watercolor?

I have several itchings by Richard Bishop,can you tell me anything about the value?I also have two watercolors.

I find more than one Richard Bishop that produced art.
Here is a biography for the best known, let me know if this is the same artist. He died in 1975.

Richard Bishop Bio

As a child, Richard Bishop learned waterfowl hunting from his father and was an avid sportsman throughout his life. After graduating from Syracuse High School in 1905, he attended Cornell University where he excelled at technical drafting. He moved to Milwaukee and worked as an electrical engineer for Cutler-Hammer Manufacturing after earning his masters degree in engineering. When World War I broke out, Bishop was commissioned as a Captain and assigned to the Army Chemical Warfare Unit at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. In 1919, he was discharged from the military and went to work for his father-in-law’s Philadelphia manufacturing plant.

One day at work, Bishop took a copper plate that were to be melted down and etched a portrait into it using the needle from a phonograph. This was the beginning of his artistic career. He began to study etching and drypoint printing processes extensively and built his own printing press. In 1924, Bishop won the Charles M. Lea prize from the Philadelphia Print Club for an etching of Canadian geese. Early in his artistic career, he was influenced by the work of Frank Benson but had developed his own unique style by the 1930’s. In 1933, the artist retired from manufacturing to dedicate himself to printmaking and painting full-time.

In 1936, Bishop submitted a design for the third Federal Duck Stamp and published his first book, Bishop’s Birds. During World War II, he temporarily returned to his engineering career and served as Deputy Director of the War Production Board in Philadelphia. After the his service ended, Bishop began producing oil paintings for the calendar company Brown and Bigelow, and, for the next twenty-five years, continued to provide them with six images per year for their calendars. He suffered health complications in later years, losing a leg to diabetes, and passed away in 1975.

Although Bishop sketched very little in the field, he traveled throughout North America and to the Scottish moors to study, record, and film birds with both still and slow motion cameras. He produced images of many types of birds, but his specialty was waterfowl. Throughout his life, he handled all aspects of the printing process, personally inking the plates and pulling the prints. While Bishop’s prints are subtle and elegant, his oil paintings are brightly colored for advertising purposes. He briefly studied painting techniques with Aldro Hibbard at the Rockport School and John Folinsbee at the New Hope School, but he had a unique method of arranging compositions. Bishop would project a landscape photograph on the wall and then place cutouts of ducks and geese (also from photographs) on it until the arrangement satisfied him. Then he would paint the scene.  

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.