Fine Art/What do waves REALLY look like?

Question
Hi--

A question I've long wondered about:

In traditional (say, pre-photography) Japan, if you asked a Japanese which looked more like a wave: the traditional Japanese "curlicue" wave in a traditional Japanese painting or a "naturalistic" wave in an American painting, would he say "A" or "B"?

[A] The Japanese "curlicue: wave looks more like a wave REALLY looks.

OR

[B] The "naturalistic" wave looks more like a wave really looks, but the curlicue wave feels more like a wave feels.

Many thanks,

Steve
nighttrain@nyc.rr.com  

Answer
I think he would answer B -- that portraying the outward appearance of a wave is one thing and portraying the spirit of all waves is another.  Two different foci in representation of the physical world.

Thank you for asking such an interesting question.

Please remember to rate all answers and nominate your expert for expert of the month. We all donate our time here and the only "payment" we receive is the satisfaction of knowing our answers were read and appreciated.  (You'd be surprised how many people neglect this simple courtesy!)

Alison McMahon Johnson