Fine Art/Is it worth what they said?

I was recently on a cruise and acquired some fine art from Park West At Sea. Some of these items are seriolithographs and I have seen very little information on this technique (either unknown or inexpensive to produce!). So, now I am wondering if what they told me is truly what they are worth. I did pay extra for an appraisal on each work of art, but how do I know that even the appraisal from them will be legitimate. The work is beautiful and the artist are known, but how do I find out the true value of them?

Dear Angel, With your lithographs you may receive certificates telling you the importance of the artwork, and that it is a limited edition. What they don't tell you is that there is an American edition, a European edition, an Asian edition, Artist's proofs, and on and on. In reality they can print millions if they like. 99.5 % of these prints are worthless. See if any lithographs by your artists have sold at Sotheby's or Christie's auction. If not you can be rather sure they have no market value.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.