Fine Art/Who Is He?

This question may be way too vague to be answered but we thought we'd give it a try.  We have a framed oil on canvas painting 25 1/2"w x 31 1/2"l approx. that has been in the family for at least 100 years.  There is no signature, unless it's under the frame.  Identification on the back is only half a small paper label indicating NYC and part of a name ending in either "...ioneer" or "...ionier."  We assume that to do with the framing, not the painting, but don't know for sure.  The painting is of a seated man looking to be of George Washington's era in a red judge's type robe and holding a tri corner hat.  He looks very judicial.  our question is, if we sent you a picture of this painting, could you offer an opinion as to whether or not this is a painting of some known person?  We have never made anh inquiry about this painting anywhere but we sure are curious about it and would love to know if there is any way to do research online.  Thank you for your help.  

I look forward to seeing it.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.