Fine Art/Where to go from here.....

Question
Mr. Klevit,
I am from Missouri, and as an eight year old boy in 1968, I found a 15th century Pisano medallion. I stashed it away for 32 years until my son in 2000 found it in my box of junk. With the world wide web available, I began researching and located Dr. Stephen Scher in New Jersey. I sent the medallion to him, because at this point, I thought it to be fake. He called and told me that the medallion met all the criteria to be authentic, but that the three scratches on it, and the cleaning I had done - took the patina off - basically made it worthless, he stated "condition is everything". I strongly disagreed with him, and went out searching for another expert - Gerard Van Weyenbergh. This journey ended up being expensive and I am really back to square one. It took several threats to get paperwork from Gerard, he appraised it at $65,000, $150,000 replacement. There are only three like this one in the world, and is also considered Pisano's best work. Pisano was the father of medallions - which I am sure you are aware, but the bottom line is, I cannot sell this medallion, I have no idea  how to sell, is this not an important piece of art and history? The art world, as I have learned, seems to have an underground, and outsiders are turned away. The medallion is of Don Inigo d' Avolos, the grand chamberlain of Naples Italy. I know this is not your expertise area, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Answer
Jim--you are right, this is not my area of expertise.  Still, might I suggest you call Sotheby's, which should have an expert in that area, and be able and willing to give an estimate, based on historical records, what such a medallion might bring at auction.  Alan.

Alan Klevit