Fine Art/zabateri?

Greetings and respect!

My name is szabolcs. I am from Transilvanya (Romania).
I think i have one of a picture painted by Zabateri. On the picture there is Jesus holding his hands.
I want to know some informtions about zabateri`s art, picture`s and how valueble are his works?
please answer me.
thank you for your patience.  

Dear Szabolcs,

I hope this finds you well in health and spirit. Thank you for your question. As you have probably discovered, there are pages of prints for sale on the internet by H. Zabateri. They are primarily of religious themes, such as his well known image of “The Last Supper” and another of the “Sacred Heart of Jesus”. However, as you also discovered, there is absolutely no information on who H. Zabateri was, or where he was from.

As with many artists of the era, Zabateri was a pseudonym, another name by which an artist signed his work. H. Zabateri was also known as Hans Zatzka; an Austrian who was born in Vienna in 1859 and died somewhere around 1945.

It appears Hans Zatzka used the pseudonym of H. Zabateri for his more Christian religious works, (though there are some allegorical/mythological images with the Zabateri signature). Zatzka was known for his allegorical subjects, genre scenes, and figures. According to online biographies; he spent many years dedicating his painting to the churches and other known establishments of Austria.

He was the student of the Academy of Fine Arts of Vienna from 1877 to 1882. While he decorated numerous churches of Vienna, Mayerling, Olmutz and Innsbruck, he was most widely known for his passionate images depicting women, fairies and mythological subjects.

Aware of the popularity of his women, Zatzka combined his love of painting women into great paintings which were in turn reproduced into postcards. He produced a vast amount of postcards during his time.

Hans Zatzka’s original work sells for thousands of dollars (U.S.), where as no original Zabateri work has ever shown up at a major auction house. It is possible that the Zabateri originals are being listed at auction as Zatzka’s; but this is very difficult to research.

My suggestion is you take your painting to a museum; possibly you are close to Muzeul National de Arta Cluj? If you can locate an art dealer in your area, they may be of assistance as well.  

Hans Zatzka, in addition to Zabateri; also painted under the pseudonym names of P. Ronsard and J. Bernard.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.