Fine Art Restoration/cleaning a gilded metallic frame

Question
Hi Paul, I have just bought a 50's Chaty Vallauris sunburst
mirror. The gilded metal has slight black marks .Could you
please advise me on how to clean it?

Answer
Hi Kenza,

For some reason, I've just received this question, so pardon the delay.
Are the marks on the surface, or do they appear to be below the gilding, i.e. corrosion or abrasions?  You might want to look at them with a hand-magnifier or a mini-microscope.  The latter are available from various archival materials suppliers or local electronics retailers.

If they are abrasions and/or corrosion, contact an objects conservator or frame restorer in your area to take a further look.  If the marks are surface accumulations, you can try gently removing them with non-latex cosmetic sponges available at drug stores.  Don't use any chemicals or water.  Gently clean the surface after testing a small area first.

Fine Art Restoration

Paul S. Storch