Fine Art Restoration/Foamcore off-gassing

Question
I work for a Museum in Finland and recently saw a 1997 question you posed about VOCs and foamcore.
I was wondering if you had had any answers to your question and if there are any current papers on the use of archival foamcore for packing and storage in collections?
Many thanks
Adam

Answer
Check in Pamela Hatchfield's book on pollutants in museums as she discusses materials.  The polystyrene used in the foam core products can sometimes contain unreacted styrene monomer that can volatize out into objects.
Artcare foamcore products are sold as archival by distributors such as University Products.  You can check further into their literature as to what their specifications are, e.g. the IPI PAT, etc.
There's also the AIC website that has JAIC and other publications on-line and searchable.  A quick search didn't show much on this subject other than a 2000 book review of the CCI mount making publication where polystyrene foam was mentioned as possibly containing monomers.
The GCI materials testing database which is also on the AIC Wiki does not have foamcore listed as a material that they tested.
You can also contact David Thickett at the British Museum and see if he has any current research.

Good Luck.

Fine Art Restoration

Paul S. Storch