Fine Art Restoration/Conserving a bronze sculpture

Question
A.C.Ladd bronze
A.C.Ladd bronze  
Greetings, Paul:

We recently bought a 9" tall bronze sculpture marked "A.C.Ladd" and "Ideal Casting Company, Providence, R.I." from an dealer's warehouse in Santa Barbara, California. We believe the sculpture to be the work of Anna Coleman Ladd (b. 1878) who died in Santa Barbara in 1939. The statue has a bluish patina {image attached) and we'd like to know if we should leave it as is or if it should or could be cleaned.  

Thank you for your willingness to answer questions such as these, and for the gift of your expertise.

Larry Haeg
Saint Paul, Minnesota

Answer
Hi Larry,

From the photo, the sculpture and surface appears to be in excellent condition.  It looks to me as an intentionally applied artificial patina, and not oxidation or corrosion from poor handling and exposure to acids, as is seen on outdoor pieces.  I'm assuming that this is an indoor display piece and was never outdoors.  I see no reason to remove the current surface treatment.  It may warrant a good dusting with a lint free cloth and the application of a high quality paste wax, such as Renaissance or Johnsons carnauba blend wood floor wax, but nothing else.
If you disagree with that because you're seeing an uneven surface in places, then I'd need to see more photos of those areas, both details and overalls, with good color rendering and lighting, and good focus, and I'd be happy to reassess the condition.  Otherwise, it looks like you have a great, stable object.

Thanks,
Paul Storch
Objects Conservator
St. Paul, MN

Fine Art Restoration

Paul S. Storch