Fine Art Restoration/Trying to find a oil painting value

Hi Paul,
I'm not sure that this question fits your area of expertise but I don't know who else to ask.
I have a gentlemen in Florida wanting to exchange an oil painting for some items of value that I own, he claims the painting is over 100 years old and that he inherited it from his father in law who he claims turned down $105K for it in 1980 to keep it for an investment. It's a street scene that looks like early Europe and is signed by what appears to be J Mastin or something very similar I would be happy to forward you some pictures if that would be possible. My email address is  
Thanks, Sam Clymer  

Since I'm not an art curator or appraiser, it is somewhat out of my area.  I would suggest that you find a professional appraiser in your area to research and appraise the painting so you can get a current value before you trade it for anything.  Is there an official appraisal from 1980 so you can verify the claims of the value at that time?  You should approach anything like this with caution.

Fine Art Restoration

Paul S. Storch

I'm happy to answer questions concerning the preservation and conservation of three-dimensional archaeological, ethnographic, historic, technological, and decorative arts objects. My materials expertise includes leather, wood, metals, and composite materials.

I have close to thirty years experience as a conservator at three different museums and in private practice. I currently work as a collections manager overseeing 40,000 historic objects at over 20 sites around the state, as well as having a private treatment and consultation practice in the Midwest.

American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works Minnesota Association of Museums The Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections Professional Picture Framers Association

Journal of the American Institute For Conservation Texas Archaeology University of Texas Conservation Notes Caring for American Indian Objects/Minnesota Historical Society Press The Interpreter/Minnesota Historical Society Journal of Field Archaeology

B.A. in Anthropology/Archaeology; M.A. in Anthropology/Museum Studies with a concentration in Archaeological and Ethnographic Conservation.

Recognition certificate from the Institute of Museum Services