Fire & Emergency Careers, And Fire Safety Info/Home Fire Extinguishers

Hi Captain Grove,

Would you help me determine what type of fire extinguishers we should buy for home use?  

I've done a little bit of research and have learned there are certain extinguishers for certain types of fires (e.g., A, B, C, D, K) and that within some of the classifications are numerical values (e.g., 2A, meaning the extinguisher contains 2/1-2 gal. water; 30B, meaning the extinguishing material will cover 30 sq. ft., etc.).

The house is a two-story Victorian, and I want to make sure the upstairs bedrooms have adequate protection.  I also want to make sure we have the right extinguisher in the kitchen, so I'm assuming we're talking about two different types of extinguishers -- one type for the kitchen and another type for the upstairs???

My Questions:

1.  What extinguisher types (including numerical values) do you recommend?  I thought the A-B-C for upstairs and a K for the kitchen might be good choices, but I'm not sure that's right -- and I also don't know what numerical values would be best.

2.  Does allexperts permit its experts to recommend specific products or brands?  If so, would you recommend a good brand of extinguisher for me?  

3.  For the B & C extinguishers, do you recommend CO2 or the dry chemincal?

Hello Gracie:

Typically for home use you should be looking into a 2A/10BC type extinguisher for the majority of your home.

For the kitchen I would recommend a First Alert KFE2S5 5-B:C Kitchen Fire Extinguisher.

Both of the above choices can be found by a variety of manufacturers. Kidde seems to be the most prevalent. The idea of any fire extinguisher (in the fire departments mind) is to provide for a quick hit on small incipient fires. Calling 911 promptly is ALWAYS the first step.
  Many fires have got out of hand while residents attempt to extinguish them. With that said I personally believe that a fire extinguisher is a great idea for the homeowner. My idea is to get the fire extinguished as quick as possible. This not only saves property damage but may insure that you have a place to sleep along with clothes on your back. Yes the insurance company will help with lodging and clothes, but it's just a major ordeal. Picture yourself standing in the yard in your PJs knowing that they are the only clothes you have.

Another idea is to check with your local fire department. Most departments will be glad to send out a rep to discuss types of extinguishers as well as placement. Your tax dollars pay for their service, why not use them. Believe me, they won't mind at all.

Please fell free to contact me with any and all questions you may have.

Fire & Emergency Careers, And Fire Safety Info

Captain Mike Grove

Questions relating to but not limited to:

**Firefighter Entry Exams
**Education Requirements
**Physical Agility Testing
**Interview Process
**Scenario Testing
**Todays Emergency Medical Services
**Incident Response
**Apparatus Function
**Station Life
**Scene Management
**National Incident Management System.

I possess the ability and willingness to assist those who may be or have family members seeking a future in the fire service or anyone seeking general information relating to promotional opportunities, general fire safety or any other similiar topics.

I have 34 years of full time experience with the city of Overland Park, KS fire department.

34 year veteran with the City of Overland Park Kansas Fire Department.

Overland Park,a large suburb of Kansas City, Missouri, is the second most populous city in Kansas with a population of 166,000

Overland Park ranks as one of the most progressive departments, as well as cities, in the United States. In 2006 CNN/Money Magazine ranked it 6th on it's "100 Best Cities to live in the United States". A recent 2007 article by National Geographic Magazine lists Overland Park as one of the top 50 US destinations.

Our department seems to grow daily and currently staffs approximately 160 paid fire and EMS personnel covering 69 square miles of territory with five stations. Our training facility is nothing less than state of the art with live computer controlled burn props on several floors of it's five story tower. A recently added Command and Control Center has added a new dimension to our regional wide response to large incidents.

I currently carry the rank of Captain/EMT. To this day I totally love my job and department as well as those individuals I work with. My family members include three brothers in the fire service as well as three in law enforcement. My father was a fire chief with a midwest fire department before he retired after 32 years of service.
I am willing and able to answer questions on any fire/EMS related subject you may have. I can help with questions related to entry level testing as well as the physical agility and the interview process. I will do my best to answer any and all questions to your satisfaction in a timely manner.

Associates of Applied Science in Fire Science
Firefighter I/II/III Certification / Kansas University
Fire Instructor I / Kansas University
Emergency Medical Techician Certification
Fire Officer I Certification / Kansas University
HazardousMaterials Recognition and Identification
Scene Safety Officer Certification / National Fire Academy
Incident Command System / National Fire Academy
Incident Management System / University of Missouri, Columbia
National Incident Management System Certification / National Fire Academy
Command and Control of Target Hazards / National Fire Academy, NFA Company Officer response to Terriosm Incidents